Strange noise at rear of vehicle - Lincoln Nautilus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kirby

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Question Strange noise at rear of vehicle

Hoping someone else might have encountered this and know what it might be. When the car is sitting in our garage, doesn't matter if it was just driven or has been sitting overnight, and you open any one of the doors and then close it, after the car "shuts down" (i.e. turns off all lights, and kills any accessory power) there is sometimes a metallic noise (I hesitate to call it grinding) that comes from the rear area of the vehicle (outside, underneath it).

I thought maybe it had to do with a central locking system or something, but it doesn't occur every time we shut the doors. So far no discernible pattern to it. I've tried to capture an audio clip of it, but whenever I have my phone it is as quiet as a church mouse. Anyone have some insight on this? We asked the dealer service guy, and he has no idea, and of course it didn't make the noise in his presence.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:09 AM

...Kirby, I recall hearing about this when I owned my 2017 MKC, it happenend to me once in a while, so far in between that often forgot where it was coming from, but after some talk on the MKC forum, I was told that it came (believe it or not) from the stereo...and I know that I am no help since I never did anything about it...I will try to go back and see if I can retrieve the thread. Of course that doesnt mean it is your problem..good luck keep us posted...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:24 PM

I have read other people saying its something to do with the electronic fuel pump energizing as you walk up or leave...can't remember but they said it is normal.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:39 PM

...yes I did heard also about that...as I also heard or rather read that it is very difficult to detect..good luck, specially hard to explain to the techs..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Electric fuel pump makes sense.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Not really sure I buy this, but from the service manager:

"the noise is from the rear diff torque sensor releasing they changed the design to a brushless design and there is a message on line for this noise. to let us know it is a normal noise"
svofan1 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Hoping someone else might have encountered this and know what it might be. When the car is sitting in our garage, doesn't matter if it was just driven or has been sitting overnight, and you open any one of the doors and then close it, after the car "shuts down" (i.e. turns off all lights, and kills any accessory power) there is sometimes a metallic noise (I hesitate to call it grinding) that comes from the rear area of the vehicle (outside, underneath it).

I thought maybe it had to do with a central locking system or something, but it doesn't occur every time we shut the doors. So far no discernible pattern to it. I've tried to capture an audio clip of it, but whenever I have my phone it is as quiet as a church mouse. Anyone have some insight on this? We asked the dealer service guy, and he has no idea, and of course it didn't make the noise in his presence.
My 2020 Nautilus has the that same noise that occurs just like you are describing. It started about a month after I bought it in May 2020.

Are there any updates on this?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page