Headlights going crazy - Lincoln Nautilus Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Headlights going crazy

So this is a new one, that I havent seen anyone else comment about, but while driving our Nautilus the other evening, with the auto-high beam feature running, the car started randomly flashing brights at oncoming traffic (on-off-on-off over and over, every few seconds). Anyone seen this behavior before? It was doing this with oncoming cars that were only a few hundred feet away, and didnt seem to matter what level of headlight beams were coming at us (halogen, HID or LED). Then 2 nights ago, everything seemed to operate as it should. Frustrating as not much can be done unless we can reproduce it for the dealer I would guess.

Does anyone know where the sensor for this is located?
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:57 PM

....the first time I noticed the high beams going on was a couple of nights ago while suddenly I turned into a real dark street...to my surprise the high beams went on and as soon as I turned into a brighter street they went off...I like it.....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

I wish what we are experiencing was normal operation, however its not. The auto high beams used to work perfect, but even this morning as my wife backed out of the garage, I saw them flashing from low to high 2-3 times, which I dont think the auto high beam feature is even supposed to be active at low speeds (under 25 or 30?). Ugh.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Funny you mention this, just last night the auto high beams were not responding to oncoming traffic....I was manually dimming my light because it would NOT sense on coming cars...as just as this was going on and me wondering what was happening....it went back to normal.....wondering if it's ice/slush buildup on the sensor ( where the **** is the sensor)?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Ours has not done it again after a few times back when I posted. But we have seen other electrical gremlins in the system. As for the sensor, I would assume its in the overhead console area that the rear view mirror mounts to, or even on the back side of the mirror.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page