Ventilated seats - Lincoln Nautilus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gurgeh

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Ventilated seats

This is my first experience with ventilated seats, and so far I am not impressed. I hear the fan come on, but I feel no cooling effect in the seat. If I turn on the heat, that seems to work fine. What are others experience with this feature?

2019 Nautilus Reserve V6, 22 way seats, magnetic grey
2007 Corvette convertible
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000 Ford Excursion PowerStroke
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 AM

Mine work fine. I feel it more on my back rather than on the seat bottom. The Nautilus' ventilated seats work far better than the vent seats did on my Avalon which it replaced. A trip to the dealer might be in order.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInAz View Post
This is my first experience with ventilated seats, and so far I am not impressed. I hear the fan come on, but I feel no cooling effect in the seat. If I turn on the heat, that seems to work fine. What are others experience with this feature?

My experience parallels yours. The cooling effect is zilch. On prior years, Ford used thermoelectric modules that heat and cool (google peltier effect). One was mounted under the seat bottom, the other in the seat back. When they worked they were capable of freezing your Backside.

They were extremely problematic and I read that they dropped them on the new F-150's and went to fans for cooling and elements for heating.
Maybe they were dropped on the Lincoln models as well. My Sorento had ventilated seats with fans and they were a lot more effective than these.

I'll check in with my dealership and see what they say. If they can't provide a solution I'll be hitting up Ford for a refund for something I ordered but didn't receive.

2019 Lincoln Nautilus 2.7 Reserve,
2012 Mustang GT Roush Stage 3 TVS
1999 H-D Lowrider
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:32 PM

It is an important distinction, but the Nautilus doesn't have cooled seats, but ventilated seats. For their intended purpose, for me, they work just fine. It is August in the Washington, DC area where I live and I don't have garage parking. Every day here this time of year is hot, hazy and humid with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms. When I go out to my car the seats are usually blazing in a hot interior. The ventilated seats quickly take way the blaze and leave the seats at the temperature of the air conditioned ambient air. I don't need my seats cold, just the heat removed. OTOH, the heated seats really get hot, which is nice for when winter arrives. Almost as nice as the heated steering wheel!
Tinplate likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

As an experiment, I put a piece of tissue paper on the seat, and held one against the back. I expected to see it flutter (at least). Nothing. Guess it's dealer time.

2019 Nautilus Reserve V6, 22 way seats, magnetic grey
2007 Corvette convertible
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000 Ford Excursion PowerStroke
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 PM

I have no problem with the ventilated seats. As an experiment, turn the car on but not the A/C, then turn on the cool seats. If the sea gets cold then it' more than just circulated air.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:48 PM

I took a look under the seat and verified that the thermoelectric units are no longer used. It took Ford 10 years to conclude that they were too much trouble. In another 10 years they'll have figured out how to do ventilated seats properly.

2019 Lincoln Nautilus 2.7 Reserve,
2012 Mustang GT Roush Stage 3 TVS
1999 H-D Lowrider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page