2019 Nautilus foot activated lift gate issues... - Lincoln Nautilus Forum
 21Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

2019 Nautilus foot activated lift gate issues...

So, my cargo lift gate has NOT been responding to foot commands to "Open" or " Close" for the last 3 weeks....it started off with on off commands being executed, but that went south pretty quickly....took it in to see if there were some updates to address this situation....nothing available as of yet....they looked at the problem, basically telling me that Lincoln has no updates to the software to address the issue....the tech guy that worked on my Nautilus came out with me to supposedly "show " me how to properly OPEN/CLOSE the gate with the foot commands, mostly due to the towing hitch location....I said, sure, show me....16 attempts by the tech guy failed to open it....he then decides to use the remote open/close button to open it....then proceeds to swing his foot under to close it.....that was another bunch of attempts that failed....yeah he says to me, seems like there is a problem!!!!! So I asked him if he actually tried to reprogram it when he worked on it....he says NO, because there are no updates!.....that's not what I asked, but OK, you're the tech guy working on my ride....so I was sent home with the lift gate not operational, unless I use the cabin's open/close button on the dash OR use the remote.....interestingly, this identical issue reared it's ugly head on my 2016 Lincoln MKC within the first month of ownership...in that case, they ( said) they had reprogrammed it and from that point on, it worked flawlessly, thus my suggestion to have it "reprogrammed".....shop advised me that they sent a request to Lincoln engineering to give them feedback and find out if a recall/recalibration is due out.....a week later, I'm informed Lincoln engineering has NOT yet responded to their query, so they cannot proceed with a repair...The tow hitch package is factory installed, so if this called for a slight modification to actual sensor location, it would have been done right at point of assembly ( factory)....another issueI am having is the infonaut keeps asking me to connect to a WIFI....which I did, to my home WIFI...I'm using the same garage/location/distance I used when I had the MKC and once connected, with password...it worked perfectly, downloading needed updates to system....this one just will not connect and keeps asking me every single startup cycle...not sure what's going on with this, but something's not right!!! Brought this to the attention to my salesman, interestingly he was telling me a recent Nautilus he sold to a couple have been displaying the same complaint....and as of yesterday, it was still unresolved according to him...Lincoln needs to focus on these customer complaints and issue a work around or an update and I mean in the VERY near future NOT a year from now! ....so far I am being patient with this going on, safe to say, my wife is hating the lift gate not being operational with foot commands.....my patience is FAST running out....it's kinda "out of sight, out of mind for Lincoln engineering, or so it appears!....I'll keep you peeps posted as things unfold with this issue....
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Update: Funny how things sometimes work out when you least expect it; so I was cleaning the Nautilus in the garage last week, and my neighbour's son dropped by...( he's a car nut, and usually drops by whenever I'm messing with any of my rides) so we are talking and he asked me if this Nautilus comes with the foot activated cargo gate, I told him it did but it was not really working as it should...so he walks up to the rear, swings his leg in and YEP....opens right up!!! hahaha....I said, Landon how did you do that? he goes, I don't know I just swing my leg under the bumper and it just opened so I'm watching him now and ask him....try closing it with the same leg movement....he flicks his foot under....CLOSE!!!! he did this a good 10-12 times and worked perfectly every time...figured out what's going on: apparently, Lincoln have changed the lift gate sensors from the MKC....I was talking to the tech guy at the dealership and he mentioned to me they did have a few problems with the stock sensors on the MKC...where it needed a definite signal break to open....these new sensors are much faster response and if you foot activate the rear gate with the normal foot speed as in the MKC...it just would NOT respond...so I tried this myself...a faster swing of the leg, opens/closes every time, I tried it at the slower pace I was used to doing on the MKC....would not work! it works on either side of the central hitch receiver, just keep it quick and brisk.....no wonder there were no available updates to this issue...Lincoln should have mentioned this in it's owners manual and elaborated a little more on the subject...there you go guys, heads up!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:59 PM

...dont remember where but Isaw someone saying that the foot movement must be front to back and not side to side...if I am wrong, forgive me,,,old age is a bitch, and guess what?...I AM OLD...lol
5.0 Candy REDCS likes this.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

You're right it IS front to back, but it MUST be a quick front to back movement... do NOT linger your foot underneath.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:21 PM

You can always spot a new owner when you find them dancing around behind the car, trying to get the liftgate to engage lol. You'd think by now someone would have developed a more reliable system.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
You can always spot a new owner when you find them dancing around behind the car, trying to get the liftgate to engage lol. You'd think by now someone would have developed a more reliable system.

KIA have. Just walk up to the rear of the vehicle and stand there for about 3 seconds. It will beep 3 times to alert you that the tailgate is about to open and then just like magic it opens. No need to do the one legged funky chicken dance.
In 4 years of owning my Sorento it never failed me.

2019 Lincoln Nautilus 2.7 Reserve,
2012 Mustang GT Roush Stage 3 TVS
1999 H-D Lowrider
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:04 PM

lol...I remember THAT with my 2016 Hundai...lol....
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 PM

I admit it, I can only get mine to work on the first few tries maybe 50% of the time before I give up and use the fob. My best friend can activate it every time, in one try. Who knew that kicking your foot in just the right way, would wind up being a life skill?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:24 PM

ok Mark, where is the "kick" to be applied?...middle left or right of rear bumper...this afternoon after I picked the car Ihad to go to the supermarket
and I tried 100 times at least and nothing...had to stop because people passing by had a look on their faces like..."what is that old guy trying to do"..I had an old lady like me saying.."can I get someone to help you with whatever your problem is?"....finally my wife got off and said to be, in front of the lady..."..dont worry it is an old war injury"...we did not talk for the rest of the afternoon...my wife a dry sense of humor that some times makes me wonder...lol
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svofan1 View Post
"..dont worry it is an old war injury"...we did not talk for the rest of the afternoon...my wife a dry sense of humor that some times makes me wonder...lol
That’s awesome! And it’s why we have a Labrador. She understands and still talks to both of us when we don’t 😝 Anyway, I wish I knew. I’ve got the trailer tow package. So I was advised to kick to either side of center. And I do, and mostly fail. But my friend kicked dead center and it worked perfectly immediately. He had a Kia and I guess the gesture is similar.

My problem is, it only works (I swear) on my last kick, right before I get my fob out, ready to give up and double tap the button. By that point, I have no idea what I did right.
5.0 Candy REDCS likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page